Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Just a couple of questions.....insane neighbor

Posted by Sam on March 02, 1999 at 15:15:34:

In Reply to: Just a couple of questions..... posted by Nat Sherman on February 28, 1999 at 23:20:38:

: First off, My downstairs neighbor came up to me the day after I moved in, and said "you must get carpet...take off your shoes, and move your tv to the other side of the apt." I did notice that the walls leading to my apt. had "shut up shut up shut up...sick apes be quiet" written all over them. Not one to be intimidated, I asked if he had painted the graffiti. He said, " oh, uh, yeah...the guys before you were real bad." I told him when he "bought paint and fixed that terrible mess" I MIGHT comply, seeing as my tv, and carpet situations were not permenant anyway, since I had just moved in. I also added, half in jest, that I had just gotten new shoes and he, legally, couldn't stop me from breaking them in properly.
: But, the other day, he bashed another tenant's head in with a hammer. He's obviously nuts, and he's made more of the audible noise since I've been here. Smashing/hammering noise at 3:00 am, pounding on the walls for 20 min. at a time (8:45am Sunday morning). The guy who got hit with the hammer came to me with a petition to evict him. Shit, I signed it. He's dangerous. Should I not have singed it , in fear of getting in bad with my new LL? Just need some input......

I moved a couple of months ago from a peaceful situation (got flooded out & it won't get repaired: the apt was half below the sidewalk level: turns out it was illegal: who knew? I was fine there) to a slightly crazy one too. So I've begun researching all of the details about the new building and landlord. The live-in super/manager/whatever seems to be a cocaine addict and is violent, abusive, dangerous sometimes; I called the police twice already: they know him & his history. I don't know any of my neighbors, yet. I'd like me to stay and him to go: and I'd like to do it in a way that will not get in dutch with the landlord. There are a couple of laws that sound like they will help the landlord evict for drug sales/purchases and for nuisance, but it seems like a longshot.
So I'm going to get to know my other neighbors & try the organizing & letter-writing campaign suggested in Tenant.net (under nuisance and organizing?).

Have you read that material? What are your neighbors suggesting?

Also: did the guy who got his head bashed in file a complaint with the police: that's assault & battery. Call the police. Or go down to the station with some of yuor fellow tenants and discuss this insane person's behaviour with them...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name