Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Just a couple of questions.....

Posted by satori on February 28, 1999 at 23:47:02:

In Reply to: Just a couple of questions..... posted by Nat Sherman on February 28, 1999 at 23:20:38:

No its perfectly legal to organize as tenants. And there are laws written,
that state its illegal for a landlord to try and evict a tenant
because they work with or about tenant issues as a collective.
Some suggestions though There are some people that have organized tenant
groups that have meetings once in a while call, your local
tenant advocacy group for your neighboorhood. Ours is GOLES (Good old
Lower East Side).They publish stuff about tenant organizations , and
what your rights are as a tenant. I sort of laughed at your breaking in the
shoes comment.He must be going nuts Try the Met council to.I went to some of
the above housing conferences,and there very helpful, most people that get
any justice out of there living situation in NY have to form or
belong to some sort of tenant rights group.

: First off, My downstairs neighbor came up to me the day after I moved in, and said "you must get carpet...take off your shoes, and move your tv to the other side of the apt." I did notice that the walls leading to my apt. had "shut up shut up shut up...sick apes be quiet" written all over them. Not one to be intimidated, I asked if he had painted the graffiti. He said, " oh, uh, yeah...the guys before you were real bad." I told him when he "bought paint and fixed that terrible mess" I MIGHT comply, seeing as my tv, and carpet situations were not permenant anyway, since I had just moved in. I also added, half in jest, that I had just gotten new shoes and he, legally, couldn't stop me from breaking them in properly.
: But, the other day, he bashed another tenant's head in with a hammer. He's obviously nuts, and he's made more of the audible noise since I've been here. Smashing/hammering noise at 3:00 am, pounding on the walls for 20 min. at a time (8:45am Sunday morning). The guy who got hit with the hammer came to me with a petition to evict him. Shit, I signed it. He's dangerous. Should I not have singed it , in fear of getting in bad with my new LL? Just need some input......

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name