Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Building Codes - NYC

Posted by Lilly Thall on February 27, 1999 at 06:47:06:

In Reply to: Re: Building Codes - NYC posted by satori on February 24, 1999 at 21:34:11:

That's Jean Paul "Sartre" who wrote No Exit, not Satre, jeez.

: You mean its whole apartment. with no windows wow. Now I know Satres book no
: exit a story about hell could become true. I would love to hear what the
: government says when faced with this question . I think its a gross violation
: of not just municipal laws but human rights laws. no windows

:
: : Your analysis seems correct. The fastest way to check it out is to go to the borough office of the Department of Buildings and check t he certificate of occupancy for the building.

: : If you want to engage in more thorough research, you can study the provisions of the Multiple Dwelling Law which is posted on the tenant.net website.

: : : I have a friend who is living in an apartment in NYC that does not have any windows. There is only a skylight.

: : : I am hoping to find out if this type of apartment is against building/fire safety codes? I have heard that there needs to be a SECONDARY means of exit in order to be up to code. Wh ile the skylight might be considered an exit, it is positioned in a 10' ceiling, with no ladder (not easily reached)

: : : Please let me know if you think this may be illegal?? Can my friend be released from his lease for such a violation??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name