Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lead-poison

Posted by Anna on February 27, 1999 at 00:29:56:

In Reply to: Lead-poison posted by S-n-A on February 26, 1999 at 14:44:50:

: Dear Anna,

: I would like to post this message on a public board for every tenant of the NYC to read specially the Landlords and the Judges of housing courts.
: I did what you told me to do the web searches. I search the key words you defined and guess what I found?
: Did you know that lead-base-paint was banned from housing use somewhere back in 1969 by the federal government? It has been over 30-Years since that law was passed. Now you tell me how in the world the Landlords claim that they did not have enough time to cleanup their mess?. All construction people, real-estate people, and every landlord etc are very aware of this fact.
: Why is it then, it takes some innocent little child's life and his future before they clean up the dangerous neuro-toxin (Lead-base-Paint) from their property?

: Unlike any other ordinary Poison which causes temporary pain or temporary damages to the body and with proper medical care will washout of the body, Lead Poison is there to stay. The Lead will not simply washout of body it will instead get deposited in their bones and from there it will cycle back and forth from blood and back to bones for a very long time.
: What it does to child's brain is beyond comprehension. It takes away child's intelligence, his speech, his behavior etc. Once the child puts Lead-base-paint in his mouth he is not the same any more… Please take it from me, we are faced with this dilemma.
: IF YOU ARE A TENANT IN AN OLD BUILDING OR HOUSE, PLEASE SAVE YOUR CHILDERN BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

: ====== Please Anna, post the federal law sec 406 on this board for the parents. =======

My research led me to Title X: the Federal disclosure law: I'll post a second email with a direct link to the EPA page that has the Toxic Substance Control Act: is that the sec 406 you mean?

Exerpt of intro to Title X:
Recognizing that families have a right to know about lead-based paint and potential lead hazards in
their homes, Congress directed EPA and HUD to work together to develop disclosure requirements
for sales and leases of older housing. Under section 1018 of the Residential Lead-Based Paint
Hazard Reduction Act of 1992 (also known as Title X), EPA and HUD announced the new Federal
program on March 6, 1996, to take effect between September 6 and December 6 of that year. For
more information on the new requirements, explore the documents below:

1978 is the year lead paint was banned nationwide. This, I knew then. NYC banned the sale and/or use of lead based paint in 1960: this I found out after a loved one suffered the effects of inhaling lead dust (an adult: all the laws and lawsuits I found relate to children under 6 or 7) Guess what? my landlord used old lead based paint in my apt in the 1980's! There is a can of it in the basement right now! And worse: the building and most in the neighborhood, are 125 years old: not one landlord or renovator in any building on the block tearing down painted plaster walls has taken any of the new Federal precautions.

This is an exerpt from the NYC Dept of Health website: there must be laws similar to this in NYS and/or for one & two family homes.....

Local Law number 1 of 1982 is a housing regulation which requires that the owner of a multiple
dwelling must remove or cover in an approved manner any lead based paint in an apartment
where a child under seven years old resides. The law also states that peeling paint in a
pre-1960 apartment where a child under seven resides is assumed to be lead-based paint.
Enforcement of Local Law 1 is the responsibility of the New York City Department of Housing
Preservation and Development(HPD) which will place a Class C immediately hazardous
violation where there is peeling paint in a pre-1960 apartment with a child under the age of
seven.

There is a lot of good information in everyday language on that website: also: I've read many law cases concerning "lead abatement".

National Lead Information Center, 1-800-424-LEAD ; http://www.epa.gov/lead/nlic.htm

Another resource: National Safety Council, http://www.nsc.org/ehc/lead.htm

U S Environmental Protection Agency, 290 Broadway, NYC 10007-1866, 212-637-4013

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name