Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL re-built stucture without City Permit

Posted by satori on February 24, 1999 at 21:06:03:

In Reply to: LL re-built stucture without City Permit posted by Homeless?? on February 24, 1999 at 02:26:14:

oh if your a senior or on disability I think hes required to find you
another apartment the same as your living in if you have to omove if its controlled. I know thats
the policy for rent stabilized. Call a lawyer and ask though

Well first of all don't feel guilty about reporting it to HPD. Though
they probaably won't care. Thats why the landlord was able to do it in the

first place.I don't know you but if the building is found to be unsafe, I think there
are requirements that the landlord must find an other apartment for you
the same as you are in. Other then that , I think, you will have to move.
But i would still insist that he fix the dfamages in housing court, you
can bring and action there to require him to fix it. i would also call
the fire department to have them inspect it before HPD gets there

: My new LL performed construction on his ground floor storefront (beneath the two dweling apartments). No Permit was displayed. I originally thought that the construction was strictly cosmetic, simply to change the store appearance and convert the basement into an office/meeting space. Now it has been revealed that he MOVED and re-positioned A SUPPORT BRACE FOR THE BUILDING in the basement and the ground floor as well(I am very familiar with the building - the former LL had me perform maintanance duties so I KNOW). This can't be safe (or legal) - he did it without a permit.

: What will happen to him and the building if this is reported? Could it be condemned if it's found unsafe? Will I be moved by LL or myself?

: I am a rent-controlled tenant and have lived here a very long time. I don't wish to move to a higher rent, but I cannot compromise my saftey!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name