Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LATE FEES``URGENT

Posted by Mark Smith on February 24, 1999 at 13:34:45:

In Reply to: LATE FEES``URGENT posted by Tanya on February 24, 1999 at 12:23:55:

Does the lease have a provision for late fees? If not, your landlord can't charge late fees? And even if the lease has a late fee provision, this fee of $25 plus $5 a day is unreasonable. Courts have generally found late fees greater than 4% or 5% of the monthly rent to be unreasonale.

Interestingly, New York state laws limits the late fees paid to owners of mobile home parks to 5% of the monthly rent. The bad news is that there is only one mobile home park in New York City -- on Staten Island. The good news is that Tonya Harding will be protected if she ever moves to New York state.

: Can a landlord Charge late fees on the balance of rent?
: I paid half of my rent on the 1st of the month and told the landlord i would send the balance in 2 weeks (payday is every 2 weeks) she said ok.....Now she is telling me that i have $125.00 in late fees ($25.00 late and $5.00 a day thereafter!!) total of $125.00 Can she do that? I paid half of it and she seemed ok with waiting for the other half!Can she charge late fees for half the rent like that?
: HELP!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name