Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent increase w/no lease: DHCR & new tenant group

Posted by Anna on February 24, 1999 at 09:50:31:

In Reply to: Re: rent increase w/no lease posted by TenantNet on February 22, 1999 at 23:36:03:

Some other suggestions: call DHCR: they sent me a summary version computer printout of the registration history of my apt thru the mail: once it was even certified: ask, you might receive!
Also: goto a Tenant clinic, bring all your papers & the DHCR report for them to review (I felt safer after a face-to-face conference): see list here on Tenant.net: here's a new one: Housing Law Workshop, Wed 7:30-9:30pm, Warren Hall, 410 W 116th St, Rm 304, 854-4312.
PS: do some homework first! Use the search features here on Tenant.net on the Message Board & on the Main Menu for more info; also: try other websites: DHCR (dhcr.state.ny.us), RGB (Rent Guidelines Board: housingnyc.com), etc.
PPS: don't let LL know that you can't find your original lease: but do try to find any & all notices, papers, cancelled checks, etc directly related to your tenancy; and indirect confirmation: ConEd, Tel Co bills, etc.
See also: DK's answer to Sam 2/23.

: If RS, chances are the owner hasn't properly registered with DHCR, giving
: cause to a claim the rent can't go up, even with a lease. Sure, LLs can get
: around that one quickly, but hope the LL isn't smart. I think, if there's
: an actual overcharge, that late registration can't be cured w/o penalty.

: : Under rent stabilization you are entitled to 120 days notice of your choice of a one or two year renewal lease. The rent increase is 2% or 4% depending on your choice. The rent increase does not go into effect until the renewal is effective, that is, at least 120 days from the offer to renew.
: : Send the landlord a letter indicating that you want to renew your lease and request that the landlord send you a proper renewal offer as required by the Rent Stabilization Code. Continue paying your old rent until you are sent a proper renewal offer.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name