Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Building Codes - NYC

Posted by DK on February 23, 1999 at 19:57:33:

In Reply to: Building Codes - NYC posted by Rolfe on February 22, 1999 at 21:55:09:

Your analysis seems correct. The fastest way to check it out is to go to the borough office of the Department of Buildings and check the certificate of occupancy for the building.

If you want to engage in more thorough research, you can study the provisions of the Multiple Dwelling Law which is posted on the tenant.net website.

: I have a friend who is living in an apartment in NYC that does not have any windows. There is only a skylight.

: I am hoping to find out if this type of apartment is against building/fire safety codes? I have heard that there needs to be a SECONDARY means of exit in order to be up to code. While the skylight might be considered an exit, it is positioned in a 10' ceiling, with no ladder (not easily reached)

: Please let me know if you think this may be illegal?? Can my friend be released from his lease for such a violation??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name