Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord wants to raise rent 20%! Help, need info!

Posted by isaac on February 22, 1999 at 13:49:42:

In Reply to: Landlord wants to raise rent 20%! Help, need info! posted by William on February 22, 1999 at 09:02:17:

1) Get your apt. rent history: call DHCR at718-739-6400, ask for "Request for Access to Public Records" form, and fill out. You'll get the rent history about 2 weeks later.
For quicker action, go to DHCR at Gertz Plaza, Jamaica, Queens, with your present lease, and get printout.

2) If apt. is rent-stabilized, fill out "Tenant's Complaint of Owner's Failure to Renew Lease", form RA-90. The landlord MUST give you a lease that starts 120-150 days later, with rent increases 2% (one year) or 4% (two years) (your choice; always pick 2 years, if you are going to stick around). He is NOT allowed to ask for retro-active starting date!
Again, for quicker action, you can get free advise from a DHCR counselor, and fill out appropriate form, at DHCR office, at the same time as when getting the rent history.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name