Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord Using Noise & More

Posted by Ron on February 20, 1999 at 01:57:17:

My wife and I have been living on the Upper West Side for 20 years, in the same Rent Stabilized apartment. After the dust cleared from the last Big Battle between Albany and we tenants, my landlord went to work. He's installed as many warehousers/students/non-lease holders etc. all around the older tenants as he could, along with the Led Feet. These are individuals to groups, who try their best to make as much noise as they can, and in any way possible short of setting off an explosive. They have kept this up now for several months. It's my nature to dismiss noise, especially deliberate noise, it's New York. That's what I've been using for a psychological cushion. However, while waiting for a bus recently, I was made aware of similar problems that have been plaguing different parts of Manhattan, by a man who'd just come to task with his landlord and over situations that were too similar to mine to be mere coincidence. It was as if he'd pulled all of the experiences I'd had over the last several months, right out of my memory banks! We didn't have to exchange scenarios, they WERE the same scenarios. As a matter of fact, as I write this right now, there is loud blaring music being played above me, the volume of which is being raised and lowered, hard heeled boots walking from one end of the apartment to the other etc. They must do 25 miles a night up there, and they have studied their craft well.. they're crafty as hell.. they never risk playing music or making noise for any great legnth of time. This is to avoid my calling the local precinct, I guess. Thy've got this thing down to a science!

The man I spoke with and I agreed that it's an all too obvious conspiracy, and that we of course need to take action. Especially because along with the noise and lack of building maintenance, dirt, disrepair, lingering construction, psychological debilitation and elevator breakdowns, have come apartment break ins and now.. fear.

If there is anyone out there who has or is presently experiencing this type of harassment, please contribute and share your ideas. Maybe we can speak to the issue in a legal way.. through Met Council or some other body, maybe? Thank you in advance, for any contributions.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name