Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Possible Apartment renovations

Posted by satori on February 18, 1999 at 14:11:20:

In Reply to: Possible Apartment renovations posted by Michelle Service on February 18, 1999 at 11:30:12:

I have a question, If I was a landlord and a tenant wanted to make changes
to the apartment. I would not ask for more rent, in fact, I might just
reduce the rent for them being a good tenant.
I think we should kick all these politicians out that that have allowed
these thug extortionat landlords to get away with highway robbery.

: After living in an apartment for almost 4 years, I decided since I love thegarden and the apartment is a bit shabby that I would like to spruce up the apartment and let more light into the living area. I contacted the landlord to let him know what my intentions were. He came to look at the partment told me to go ahead and get some quotes on the cost of construction get their insurance information, etc. We had one person look a t the place that he recommended and another I've worked with. The landlord sent me a letter , after speaking with his person, saying we would need to talk about extra rent compensation.
: I called him about it and he started babbling on random tangents about 1% vacancy rates and capital imporovements and more rent. I asked him to clarify if I would have to pay more rent if I did this work and he said no, send me the drawings of what you want to do, the contrators liability ins and he would sign off on it. He sent a letter stating the same. I sent him the information and he stopped returning my phone calls. I've called him constantly and yesterday got a vicious note under my door from him saying that he's been so cordial and accomodating and I'm taking advantage of him because I paid this month's rent late(one day aftr the 10th of the month)???? Anyway I think he wants to get me out of the apartment, to do the construction himself and get more money from new tenants for the rent. I need to find out some information on capital improvements on the renters side. Also can he use this incident to say I'm a disruptive tenant and not renew my lease which will expire in March, 1999? HELP!!! Should I be packing??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name