Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord's unexpected visit and harrassing letter

Posted by M.O. on February 15, 1999 at 20:32:15:

One day, the appartment manager visited our apartment unexpectedly, when my wife was terribly sick in bed and asked them to repair the broken air conditioner, probably cause for her sickness.
Pretending the repair of air conditioner, she look around the apartment and told my wife to dispose the materials in the kitchen. Since she found it hard to move, she had ordered delivery and she had just eaten it. At that day, I was away on business trip.
A couple of days later, we received the warning letter from the manager, which mentions that the entrance and kitchen areas were not maintained in good condition, and she observed garbage and empty bottles and cans, empty food containers, brown paper bags, etc. I am sure that she could not determine whether we maintain
the apartment in good condition by visiting for a short time and observing the situation soon after a sick person finished the meal, when most people may have not disposed the materials. I assume that the landlord wrote this letter intentionally to give false impression that we do not usually keep the apartment in good condition. It may be intended to keep some portion of deposit,
or otherwise, to revenge against our recent complains to them due to their poor quality of services, such as not responding repair request, or not allowing us to use other TV cable companies, such as Time Warner with our own cultural TV programs, or
making noises at 6:00 am, etc. I really appreciate if someone of you give me good advices for me to fight with the landlord.
Legal implications would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name