Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord trashed my belongings

Posted by satori on February 12, 1999 at 15:26:35:

In Reply to: Landlord trashed my belongings posted by Ben Kehler on February 08, 1999 at 07:36:01:

Thats terrible,Well some states have limits on how much you can claim
in small claims court. I don't know what state you live in , if there
is a limit then sue him in regular court, and hire a lawyer. hire a lawyer
anyway. or at least call the bar association in your state sometimes
they will see you for one half hour for $25. And go to the
Nolo board they have all kinds of information about landlord tenant
issues for non-lawyers. keyword NOLO.

: What can I do?
: My landlord requested I move after my girlfriend and I parted. We were both on the lease, which was renewed in Sept.'98 for one year. She moved out Nov.1st. The lease was H.U.D. assisted. The landlord gave verbal warning on Nov.1st and then accepted rent payment from me Nov.15th and agreed to allow me to stay provided I pay $50.00 more per month begining Dec.1st, I refused. The landlord changed the locks on the doors and kept most of my personal belongings. I contacted the landlord to retrieve my things and the landlord replied "you'd better have your stuff out by Feb.1st", I told him it was not possible for me to get everything out by that date.He then stated that my belongings were going to be moved to the basement and were to be accessible via an unlocked door. I went there yesterday,they were gone! I called the landlord and he said he had given me enough time,and said he had taken all of my things to the dump!! I have a list of missing items valued at approx. $6500.00.
: I do apologize for the length of this message but I am truly distressed and have no idea what to do.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name