Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Coop Board Unjustified Eviction

Posted by Valerie J on February 06, 1999 at 18:38:50:

In Reply to: Coop Board Unjustified Eviction posted by rc on February 06, 1999 at 11:14:14:

Well, I have been going through exactly the same thing for the last six months since my sublease expired in September. It is very difficult to beat the Board. You can try to mediate with them at one of their meetings and if that doesnt work you'll have to seek legal counsel. The Board will try to evict your landlord who will in turn have to evict you to keep the apartment.
You can take this to court but it will definitely be costly and there are no guarantees since coop by-laws are what you'll end up fighting against and they seem to vary greatly. What you do have is time. You will have time to find a new place, and no judge will ever throw you out with no where to go . I know this is not what you would like to hear but these are the hard cold facts that I have had to deal with and have been lucky enough to rent a floor in a friend's private house to get away from the dictatorial attitudes of coop boards and their members. I wish you well in whatever avenue you choose to pursue and much luck my friend, this is not an easy situation to deal with, as we both well know.

: I have been subleting an apartment in a coop from my neighbour for 3 years. In that 3 year period there was only one complaint against me as a tenant three years ago.
: A new coop board has usurped the old one in a 'board coup' back in September. Since then the new board has fired and evicted the maintenance man of 10yrs and his wife, they have
: fired the property management company, and now they are trying to evict me by refusing to renew my lease.

: The had originally sent me a '5-day Termination of Lease Notice' in November and cited "insubordination to building staff", "breaking house rules", "excessive noise at all times", and "breaching building security" as reasons for eviction.

: There has never been any instance of any neighbour complaints (my landlord lives next door and he has never complained) and I have always been respectful of other neighbours.

: What should I do??... Do I have any rights as a subletter in a co-op?? Can I stay beyond the termination of my lease???

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name