Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: HMC / MDL Violations: resources for all

Posted by Anna on February 03, 1999 at 22:21:34:

In Reply to: HMC / MDL Violations posted by Anna on February 03, 1999 at 22:12:07:

: I posted some of my experience, research, resources & links on this subject for "Violated 1/20/99". Too late for them, but others might benefit: click on the link below or find us at 1/20/99.

Link did not work: I'll figure that out later: here's a copy of the post:

In Reply to: HMC Class A Violations posted by Violated on January 20, 1999 at 22:50:30:

The "Classification of Housing Code Violations Pursuant to Section 27-2115 of the Housing
Maintenance Code" and the Multiple Dwelling Law was "published in the Sept 1, 1972 City
Record". I got my copy of the reprint, "Violation Order Numbers" at CityBooks, the official NYC
bookstore, for $3.00, Municipal Bldg, 1 Centre St, Manhattan, (212) 669-8245/46,

Some basics:
1. 27-2115 = Title 27, Section 2115 of the New York (City) Administrative Code which I found
in my regional branch of the New York Public Library. Title 27 is the current HMC (older version
is here on Tenant.net with D26-xxx numbers) and the Building Code. Title 26 has the RSC
(Rent Stabilization Code). The MDL is a state law & is available on Tenant.net, at
http://assembly.state.ny.us/ALIS/laws.html , & in some NYPL branches in McKinneys
Consolidated Laws, Book35A.

2. The Classes are: A = Non-Hazardous; B = Hazardous; C = Immediately Hazardous,
corrections are due in: A = 90 days, B = 30 days, C = 24 hours, 27-2115(a). Use search in
Tenant.net to read more about it. Landlords falsely report violations corrected 40% of the time.
Violations can be always the same Class, or can "graduate" from A to B to C, depending on the
nature of the problem and/or the season of the year (& the inspector). Here's an example from
an inspector: a hole in an outside wall: too small for rats in the summer: A; big enough for rats
any season: B; any size in winter: C (because it lets the cold air in).

3. Current violations can be viewed, not printed, at CityAccess Kiosks in buildings in all five
boroughs. There's one in Manhattan at, no not the Housing Court!, but 2 blocks away, at the
Dept of Health building, Worth St. You can also look at your building's file, get photocopies of
papers from it and/or a computer printed at your borough HPD office. For Kiosk locations, HPD
offices & general info, goto: http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/ , then choose HPD from Agency list.

4. Those law books can also be found in Law School Libraries & the Public Access Libraries
which are part of the United Court System Libraries.

5. Here's a bonus URL from NYC with links to various online publications:
http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/serdir/html/pubs.html

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name