Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Obligation to pay rent

Posted by Matt Petersen on January 30, 1999 at 19:14:45:

I am curious if anyone can help me with a dispute I am having with an ex-landlord. I recently moved from central Iowa to eastern IA partly for a job relocation and partly because I was living in hell. This apartment I was renting though we thought it was nice at first, started falling apart on me. The roof started leaking in a corner when the snow started to melt and in the same corner was a chimney enclosed in the wall. water got down in that part of the wall and started oozing through the paint and it was brownish water that we thought and probably was poisonous. We alerted the landlord of this and he came to look at it and told me this was a reoccuring problem & we'd just have to "live with it" until it got a little nicer out, & gave me some plastic to put on the floor in the area. Can you believe it?? I have 2 small girls constantly trying to get into it. I found this unacceptable and the landlord got rather beligerent about it. this came on the eve of a 5% rent increase. So needless to say, I moved and told the landlord to keep the deposit & that I just wanted out. Now that I'm gone they say I owe them a month rent. I signed a month to month lease when I moved in that said nothing about rent increases and I don't feel I am obligated to pay that rent, espicially with the structural problems. Or am I?? Could somone please help or steer me to some reference on this subject?? Sorry the post is so long. Thanks in advance!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name