Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What are my rights?

Posted by TenantNet on January 30, 1999 at 02:35:32:

In Reply to: What are my rights? posted by John Filetto on January 30, 1999 at 00:22:16:

: Today the landlord of the 2 family private house I am living in (Brooklyn), had papers served to her from a law firm. They are pretty shabby copies and are not notorized.
: It claims that the landlord wants me, my wife and 2 kids out in 30 days, otherwise he will file papers to have us removed. The reason it states is "Landlord desires possesion". I have never signed a lease, and there was never any discussion about me vacating the premisis.
: My question would be, what can I do to either delay, or stop this from happening, I pay the rent when required, and I consider us a good tenant. (No noise, no complaints) I am going to see an attorney on Monday, but I am curious if there is anything I can learn before hand.

The LL doesn't even't have to give this excuse if you're not rent regulated. Probably the most you can do is negotiate for additional time to find another place. A court proceeding would give you some time, but chances are you won't win. If you don't have a lease, you're a month-to-month tenant.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name