Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Wellcome Newcomer

Posted by satori on January 29, 1999 at 18:50:25:

In Reply to: Wellcome Newcomer posted by Nick on January 28, 1999 at 18:29:10:

I thought the same thing my self i was paying a high rent, but then I looked into it
and seen that i was stabilized. And i came across some interesting stats.
Most of the millions of people that live in Nyc are stablilized from 60%
to 80% her ein Manhattan have some sort of control or stabliization.
And don't worry your not paying thebill for stabilization and control of
programs, the landlord gets all kinds of tax breaks ectera.

: I would just like to say that I think rent regulations stinks! I just moved up here and guess what, I pay too much in rent to get the benefits of rent regulation. Only those who are getting bargains in the first place get the protections and benefits of rent control and stabilization. People in my building in Manhattan who pay far less than me have all the protections, while I have none. That's idiotic. All I'm doing is subsidizing their bargain-basement rents. Anyone got a good reason for excluding me from the system? My attitude is, if I don't get the benefits of rent regulation, no one should. These other tenants aren't any more deserving than I, make more than I do, and have higher net worths. Before all you controlled and stabilized Chosen of God start complaining, let me point out that I am NOT a landlord, that I believe that most NYC landlords are scum, and that most tenants are decent people. It's the SYSTEM that stinks. It just forces up rents on unregulated apartments for the benefits of a few (of the millions of people in NYC, only a minority get the benefits of rent regulation. By the way, the idea that someone can inherit a controlled or stabilized apartment is assinine. This just makes more apartments unavailable to me. To sum it up, if I can't get the benefits of rent regulation, why should I give a damn whether others do? It's too bad NY State didn't abolish the system when they had a chance. If I'm still paying market rents when renewing rent regulation comes up again, I'll be all in favor of scrapping the whole system. As for all the poor tenants who will face sharply increased rents, well hell, let them pay the same rent I do if they have the same apartment.

: Any of you reticent New Yorkers possibly have any thoughts on this?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name