Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Illegal eviction?

Posted by Tracy Moberly on January 25, 1999 at 01:48:17:

My fiancee and I have been living together for approximately four months. He committed suicide in the house we were renting. I found him and told my landlord I was moving out. Because his divorce papers were not finalized, his "ex-wife" was his next of kin. The landlord threw me out the house and would not let me take any of my things. She had the locks changed the same day. I contacted the Sheriff's Department and they told me I had the legal right to get in the house and get my stuff because it was my residence. The landlord said my name was not on the lease, and the wife did not want me in there. My fiancee had signed the lease, but I was the one who sent the checks to her and I still have the duplicate copies. I found the upstairs balcony door was unlocked, so I went in and took only my stuff. She found out and is now threatening to press charges against me. She told me the deposit was forfeited because my fiancee had paid it, but I sent her the check for the rent and we were paid up until the end of the month. Did she have the right to do this? Should I get a lawyer?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name