Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Roomate Nightmare

Posted by Catherine on January 19, 1999 at 12:03:12:

I need advice....fast.

I live in a three bedroom, with 2 other women, one of which wants to move out. I found this out last night, when listening to a message on the voicemail to my roomate from our apartment management company, in regards to her switching her lease with a friend. My other roomate and I have always felt that the rent for each room was ridiculously unfair, and the person who's moving out is getting an incredible deal. Therefore,as soon as I heard this message I assumed that if she did move out, we could up her rent and I would like to move into that room and we can find someone for my old room.

When I confronted her about the message I heard and asked her what she had planned on doing, she said that she had someone in mind and that the new person only wants her room, not mine. She also said that she is responsible for her own room, and that if she wants to move out, all she needs to do is rent her room. This somewhat makes sense, yet at the end of the day, why should the remaining roomates suffer? The fact is that if she wants to bail, shouldn't it be by our terms? IT's all about responsibility for a lease that you get into. Although it seems juvenile, it's not fair that this new person gets the good room when we're the ones who paid the finder fee and who have been here so long. so what I'm interested in knowing is - what are my rights? What i'm hoping is that Amy, the "bad roomate" can't move out unless we all agree on this. meaning, that she is unable to transfer her part of the lease without full agreement (legally) from the rest of us. We must have some sort of protection. Also, what expactly happens if someone skips out on their lease? Any info asap would be great. She dropped this bomb on us last night and she wants out by February 1st so i may have to deal with this even today.

-Catherine

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name