Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: J-51 Notice Requirements

Posted by HG on January 18, 1999 at 20:22:19:

In Reply to: Re: J-51 Notice Requirements posted by DK on January 18, 1999 at 12:24:08:

I've been through this. Can't remember everything, but there is a ruling that there must be language in your lease (EVERY lease, including the first one you signed, I believe, not just renewals) that there is a J-51 on the building and the date which it is to expire. The type must be a certain size (don't get that excited, it's not that big). BUT, just because your lease says it's there, do some checking yourself. You have to call the DHRC, find out the "lot" number of your building (by giving the address) and then call the J-51 people (I don't have the number). BUT, there's still one more route to take. Call the organization that deals with taxes too. My story in short was as follows. 2 years ago I got a lease renewal for the "full market value" of the apartment. After getting the lot number and calling the DHRC, the J 51 people couldn't do anything but confirm that there was a J-51 on the building and yes, that it was "supposed" to be up on that date. HOWEVER, myself and other tenants found out (by calling the tax division that deals with this), that although the J-51 was supposed to be up on that date, my landlord had DEFAULTED because they still owed taxes, and until they were paid, the J-51 was not to be lifted. I, and other tenants, all got our renewals after notifying the landlord that we knew this, at the expected increase, for the duration of the lease (the J-51 can't affect a lease already in effect, it is after the expiration of the current lease). The landlord did pay the back taxes and the J-51 is up, the rent on my apartment is scheduled to be raised at least $1,000 this fall, when my lease is up. I'm in the process of moving (bought a place). Hope this is helpful. Just remember, don't take it as the gospel, what you're told by your landlord, and since the communication between the housing organizations is not that great, don't rely on that either. Do your own research. Good luck!

: : Does anyone know exactly what are the notice requirements for a landlord receiving a J-51 tax abatement? Must the notice in each lease include language referring to the date of the lease to which it is attached; must the notice itself be dated; and must the landlord sign the notice?
: : Thank You

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name