Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Window gates

Posted by DK on January 15, 1999 at 18:41:24:

In Reply to: Window gates posted by guillaume on January 15, 1999 at 10:56:13:

A landlord has no obligation to install window gates. There is nothing to stop you from installing legal gates (that can be opened from the inside without a key) as long as you do not damage the window frame when you install them. If you can remove the gates without damaging the window, you can take them with you when you move out.

Beware of the cheap window gates which are illegal in New York City. These gates are closed by a padlock. These gates are illegal because it can be difficult to open them in case of a fire. Indeed, people have died because they could not open the illegal gates.

: Hi! I moved last june into a studio in the East Village, located on the last floor of a walkup building. One of my windows gives on a fire escape. Three months, ago, someone broke into my place and stole my stereo and VCR. The police came and advised me to put some gates at the windows to protect my place. I still haven't put any because they are very expensive, especially the door-gates. I called the building management company and they told me that the landlord would never pay for these gates. As a matter of fact, some neighbors told me that the person living in my place before me, had to removed the window gates he installed because the landlord wouldn't pay for them. So here is my question: aren't landlords responsible by law to put gates on my windows?? And if I do install them at my own expenses, what should I do when I decide to move out???

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name