Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

To: John E. Marre

Posted by Mike on January 15, 1999 at 15:40:17:

In Reply to: Re: housing court come back to haught posted by John E. Marre on January 14, 1999 at 02:20:23:

So sorry John that you found my response too blunt, but that is the way it is. Landlords get the names of tenants from the Housing Court data base, which, of course, cannot be altered in any way. Thus, once a tenant has been sued by his or her landlord, he or she automatically and forever is identified as a "respondent" in the Housing Court computer. End of story. There is certainly no right to confront accusers in this situation. Landlords are simply deciding not to rent to tenants if that tenant's name comes up on the Housing Court's data base.

Furthermore, your anology to a credit report is wrong. A person can't add any "extenuating circumstances" comment to the Housing Court computer or to the lawsuit file. I concede, that your advice to the tenant -- suggesting that he or she try to explain away their name in the Housing Court file (after all, there are sometimes good explanations why folks are incorrectly sued) -- is good. But if you re-read the question asked and my initial answer, I believe you will agree that I very accurately and succinctly answered the question asked. Therefore, I believe you owe me an apology. (We are on the same side of the fence and it is foolhardy for "us" to fight among ourselves.)

Whatsamatter?? Too much coffee????

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name