Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Credit Reports Regulated - Landlord Database Not

Posted by MikeW on January 15, 1999 at 12:29:26:

In Reply to: Re: Credit Reports Regulated - Landlord Database Not posted by John E. Marre on January 15, 1999 at 01:44:51:

: : There are specific federal regulation governing credit reporting agencies. There are no such
: : regulations that don't cover other databases. As far as changing the entries in for a credit
: : report, you can add comments, or you can request that a reporting institution change their report,
: : but you can't just change a report.

: : As far as the RSA (landlord) database is concerned, I don't think there is any real recourse. As far
: : as I know it is not subject to any regulation. You'd have to sue just to get a look at your file. Then
: : you'd have to sue if any of the information is wrong. And if the info is correct (ie. it claims you went
: : to housing court, and you in fact did), you'd have no claim. And I know of no law that says a landlord can't
: : refuse to rent to someone because of litigation history.

: Then it's about time that a Tenants' Database be created where Tenants can refer to BEFORE they're shafted by bastardly landlords. YES?
: After all, the landlords most likely don't worry about where they're going to live in the coming months. And they certianly have proven, in NYC anyway, that they simply couldn't give less of a care about the conditions in which their Tenants live.
: SO... what is everybody waiting for?
: A "thread:" needs to be started here... If tenant.net doesn't mind......

This can, and probably should be done. However, it is a landlords' market out there. Even in a prospective renter knows that
a particular landlord is a problem, they may not have many other choices.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name