Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: phone installation?

Posted by John E. Marre on January 14, 1999 at 02:37:45:

In Reply to: Re: phone installation? posted by Lilly Thall on January 10, 1999 at 16:49:25:

: I don't know if this would hold up, but if a tenant is stabilized, the LL is required to provide the same service as on the base date, i.e., access to telephone service... if you can show the previous tenant had a phone jack present. The original need not have been installed by the LL. If it's a service that goes with the apartment, you're entitled to the service or a rent reduction. But in this case, you've restored the service yourself. I would negotiate with the owner or withhold rent.

If you are in New York City and the LL has filed "First Rent" on yourn renovation, I have found, from court experience, that what is in the apartment when you rent it is considered all the services to which you are entitled. I had to pay to have the bldg. wired for telephone service (forst in on a renovation). When I brought the issue to court, I was told that "First Rent" on a renovation prevailed. You can, however, fight "First Rent". But be warned, in NYC, it's no picnic! (Thanks to Mr. Pataki)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name