Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Security Deposit?

Posted by Pat Seguin on January 11, 1999 at 21:53:41:

I'm moving out of my current apartment on Feb 6th and gave my landlady more than 30 days notice. However, knowing that I would never see my security deposit again, I told her in my letter than I wished to consider my security deposit as last month's rent. I've been on a month-to-month basis for a little over two years and the landlady is quoted telling the person downstairs that I'm the best tenant she ever had. In any case, I got an angry phone call today saying that she wanted the rent and that I would get my security deposit back when I move out. Being that my move-out date is only a few weeks away, I suspect she won't return my security deposit. I know there is a similar post but I just wanted a little more clarification on the matter. I believe I am legally justified in using MY money for the last month's rent. There is absolutely no damage to the apartment and she knows it because she inspected it less than a year ago when I considered moving. To me, it seems ludicrous to fork over $325 which would, theoretically, just be returned a few weeks later. Any opinions on this matter? Any lawyers possibly? Please e-mail me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name