Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Increase

Posted by TenantNet on January 09, 1999 at 15:22:51:

In Reply to: Re: Rent Increase posted by Paula Marsh on January 05, 1999 at 06:57:17:

: : : I have lived in my apartment for one year. I thought the lease was up 12/31/98 but I never received my renewal. I looked at my original lease which stated it was a one year lease, however, the date ended was stated as 12/31/99. Today I received my lease renewal in my mailbox. The post mark is not clear enough to read and the rent has increased $550!!! The lease renewal states that the landlord must forward it to me 120 days prior to the renewal. I can not afford the increase and I don't know how I can prove that I didn't receive the notice until today.What are my rights? Will I come home from work and find my furniture on the street???

: Good News. The mgt company said the rent in the lease is the legal rent, not the actual rent and that the actual rent only went up $17. Thanks everyone for the advice!

This is also fishy. The "legal" rent would probably not go up by that amount no matter what (unless you got a massive MCI or something like that). Chekc the current RGB order to determine the "legal" rent. What it appears the landlord is doing is setting the so-called legal rent at an illegal amount so he can claim it for the next tenant, or even try to deregulate if it would make it over $2,000. He's up to something and you should probably file with DHCR if the lease and/or registration is incorrect.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name