Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord entering apartment

Posted by Liz on January 08, 1999 at 19:52:20:

My husband and I leased this place in August. He just changed jobs and we were several days late on the rent. On the fourth day after the rent was due, I was home alone--around 8 pm--when I heard the front door being unlocked from the outside. I went to the window and didn't see my husband's car. Luckily there is a lock on which works only from inside, so the person--who turned out to be the landlord--couldn't enter. But when he couldn't get in with the key, the landlord started loudly banging on and shaking the door. I finally was so intimidated that I opened the door. He immediately demanded, "What are you doing with a different lock on the door?" But it was a lock that had always been there, from before we moved in. After I explained about the rent situation, he stood around asking me personal questions. Nothing too delicate, but nothing that was any of his business either. I felt that this was a gross invasion of my privacy, especially since I am in poor health and had been resting when he started banging down the door. Finally I got rid of him.

I felt very threatened by his behavior, trying to enter the apartment while I was home without even knocking first or announcing himself. Our lease says he can come in for repairs or in "emergencies." Is he allowed to force his way into the apartment to collect the rent? As a woman alone at home in the evenings I feel very threatened by this kind of behavior, shaking and banging on the door. I don't know this guy. Just because he is the landlord doesn't mean he wouldn't hurt me. If he ever did it again I would want to call the police, but I'm afraid they might laugh me off because he's the landlord. My husband wants to send him a letter informing him that it is unacceptable behavior, but I'm afraid that might turn him against us. I have rented before and even the greediest sleaziest landlords have never unnecessarily entered the apartment.

BTW, we were able to pay the rent the next day, and we have never been late on the rent before. We are not "problem" tenants in any way. We live in Indiana.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name