Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: phone installation?

Posted by Kiri on January 08, 1999 at 16:19:24:

In Reply to: phone installation? posted by Kate on January 07, 1999 at 14:25:16:

: Hi!
: I have a specific question and was wondering if you could help me out. I recently moved into a newly renovated apartment in November. During the renovation, the builders took out the phone wire and jack. So, when I moved in, I had to get a new one installed. This is a permanent feature for the apartment. It seems to me that the Management Company should pay for this installation, no? If I move out next year, the new tenant will not have to pay $180 for a new phone jack because it will already be installed.
: I was just wondering if I am right in my assumptions and if I can legally get the Management Co to pay for this.

The same thing happened to me. They took out the phone jack. Here's what you can do: talk to your super. Most supers know how to install phone jacks--you can buy one for a few bucks and maybe offer him $20 to do it. What I did was have my boyfriend call the landlord and yell at him, insisting that we have the phone jack installed. A man's voice will work wonders! The landlord called the super soon thereafter and he installed it. It seems that you already had the phone company install it--simply withhold it from your rent. Send a nice note explaining that you had a jack installed for all future residents. If the landlord balks, tear out the jack when you leave!
: Please let me know.
: Thanks!
: Kate

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name