Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

DHCR never send me copy of decision, not it's too late for normal appeal - what can I do?

Posted by Roy on January 05, 1999 at 18:05:55:

I have just found out that DHCR reached a decision on my overcharge complaint last year - I never got the notice and therefore had no chance to appeal! (The decision is favorable, but apparently does not grant treble damages, without giving any explanation, and my complaint included documentation showing that the overcharge was CLEARLY willful/intentional!) The only correspondence I received from them after filing the complaint in 1997 was a document informing me of the docket number; I have not received anything from them since then, and my understanding is that it normally take years before anything is done on a case, so I thought that was normal. However, I recently spoke to a DHCR "counselor" regarding another issue, and he looked at some records and saw something about my complaint, and I asked him if he could tell me what stage the complaint was at, and he told me that it was decided in 1997 (unusually quickly, according to him). He said something must have been sent to me, and that I can't do anything now, unless I take them to court. Now, not only did I not receive any notice of decision, but I also never received any notice of a hearing date, or copy of an answer from the landlord - nothing aside from the paper giving me the docket number. Could anyone who is familiar with these things please tell me what my options are? Surely there must be something that can be done. Thank you!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name