Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Increase

Posted by Paula Marsh on January 05, 1999 at 06:50:34:

In Reply to: Re: Rent Increase posted by DK on January 03, 1999 at 20:08:48:

: : I have lived in my apartment for one year. I thought the lease was up 12/31/98 but I never received my renewal. I looked at my original lease which stated it was a one year lease, however, the date ended was stated as 12/31/99. Today I received my lease renewal in my mailbox. The post mark is not clear enough to read and the rent has increased $550!!! The lease renewal states that the landlord must forward it to me 120 days prior to the renewal. I can not afford the increase and I don't know how I can prove that I didn't receive the notice until today.What are my rights? Will I come home from work and find my furniture on the street???

Good News! I called the mgt. company. The rent on the lease was the legal rent, not the actual rent. The actual rent only went up $17 although it was not indicated anywhere in the lease.Thanks for the help!
: If you live in New York City, you cannot be evicted without a court proceeding, which is started when you receive a notice of petition informing you of a court date.

: If your lease says that it does not expire until December 31, 1999 and there is nothing else in the lease to make that date ambiguous (such as a provision that it is a one year lease) then the landlord cannot raise your rent until the lease expires (with some exceptions which would be explained to you in detail at the time of the increase).

: If you are subject to rent stabilization, a $550 increase sounds pretty fishy.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name