Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Two Rent Increases within a year??

Posted by DK on January 03, 1999 at 20:04:33:

In Reply to: Two Rent Increases within a year?? posted by Christina on January 02, 1999 at 11:22:06:

: I recieved a Notice of Maximum Collectible Rent with an increase in November 1998 (which said the new rent was effective from February 1, 1998) Now I have recieved another notice of MCR effective Jan.1, 1999, which increased the rent again. I am in a rent controlled apt. Can they raise the rent every year? I thought it was evdry two years? And why did I get the one effective Feb. 1998 in November? Do I have to pay the retroactive rent from February until November?

: Thanks!

It sounds like you live in a rent controlled apartment. Under rent control, the landlord is entitled to receive a maximum base rent (MBR) increase every two years. The landlord is also entitled to raise the maximum collectible rent (MCR), the amount which you actually pay, every year not to exceed 7 1/2% each year and not to exceed the MBR.

The City routinely delays the processing of MBR increases, which allows the landlord to increase the MBR and MCR retroactively to the beginning of the year. Consequently, it would appear that the landlord can obtain a retroactive MBR and MCR increase in November and still claim the 1999 MCR increase in January.

You should carefully review the arithmetic on the notices to make sure that the landlord's computations are correct and that your MCR has not increased by more than 7 1/2% in any year.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name