Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: New Owner/HUGE Rent Hike/30 day notice?

Posted by Jason on December 28, 1999 at 18:42:08:

In Reply to: New Owner/HUGE Rent Hike/30 day notice? posted by kkane on December 20, 1999 at 15:37:41:

: Hi, and thank you for reading my post -

: I am living in a three-unit brownstone in Red Hook, Brooklyn/NY - have been a tenant in this building w/my partner for over eleven years, do not
: know when it was built. We have been month-to-month for several years. We received a call this weekend from a gentleman who has apparently
: purchased our building and will take possession in January (I believe January 1st, not confirmed.) He will be living in the first floor apartment, the
: second floor is rent controlled, (our neighbors have been tenants for about 35 years, VERY low rent,) which leaves our apartment as the only
: "money making" unit. He intends to raise the rent $450/month, from $750 to $1200. In the last couple years the area just north of us has become
: much more developed/desirable, and rents have skyrocketed. (Our current landlord has NOT notified us that the building has been sold, he's
: very hard to get ahold of. The landlord's wife DID bring this man, his girlfriend, his mother? and an inspector friend of theirs by our apartment a
: month ago demanding entrance to show place to them as prospective buyers/ have the inspector go over the space. I refused - very bad
: timing/no warning - and she raised my rent $200/mo. on the spot. I asked for a written notice, that's the last we heard of it.)

: I've got a couple questions:

: 1) I have looked back through the Archives for this forum and have not been able to find a definitive answer to my first question: I understand that
: if current landlord wanted to raise the rent that amount, he of course could, since our place is not rent-controlled or -stabilized, but he would have to
: give us a 30-day written notice. BUT - if a new owner takes over the building, does he ALSO have to give the 30-days notice (at least 30-days
: before end of rent-term, in our case last day of any month)? Trying to figure out, if he takes possession AFTERJanuary 2nd, even though
: there would be less than 30 days to the end of the month, is he free to begin charging the increase on February 1st? Or worse, If he takes
: possession ON January 1st, does that make our January 1st rent due to him, not current landlord, AND he can start charging the new rate
: that day? Especially hard to come up with that kind of money around the holidays. SO - trying to figure out whether we might have January as a grace
: period, still paying the $750 rate, to try to get ourselves into a new place.

: 2) I read through the NYC Access Regulations in the Archives, no mention is made of AMOUNT of access - how many days/weeks in a row are
: permitted, or degree of inhabitability while repairs are being made. Are there no limits re: these two subjects? There are major repairs to be done
: on the place - two walls, collapsed bathroom floor, broken windows etc. We believe that refusing to pay the increase based on needed repairs
: will result in his trying to make them asap so he can justify our rent hike/ make repairs while we're still paying rent so he can up the rate for
: the next tenants. Can't afford the huge loss of income to stay home, cost of putting furniture in storage.

: Many Thanks!

: kkane

Yes we have a very similar situation. Though out rent is going from $775 tup to $2,000–2,500! we just started laughing! I'm investigating the building history. Please update us and we'll do the same . Will share what we know.
Jason

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name