Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lost job, didn't pay rent. Good enough defense.

Posted by Anna on December 27, 1999 at 23:13:43:

In Reply to: Lost job, didn't pay rent. Good enough defense. posted by Edith on December 22, 1999 at 11:13:39:

: I lost my job and was three months behind on rent. I have recently began working. I paid one month so far. My landlord had begun the eviction process.
: I have already paid one month but the papers are requesting the three. When I go to court, is an unemployment defense enough? Or should I prepare
: myself to find another home?
: HELP!!!!

No. it isn't a defense at all. But partial payment is. If those were the only things you told the clerk when you answered, you'll probably get a pay-out schedule, called a stipulation, and if you miss a payment, you can be evicted.

There are several other defenses usually valid in reasonably priced apts, such as the Warranty of Habitability defense (heat, roaches, paint, etc), for which you would ask for repairs and/or a rent abatement (reduction). Read about the whole process on TenantNet Home, Housing Court section.

Be sure to tell the Judge/judge's attorney that you want to add these to (amend) your answer. Did you pick up the brochures from the CityWide Task Force on Housing (on tables most mornings at Housing Court)? These are similar to what's on TenantNet, but revised to include new problems created by recent laws.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name