Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent control roommate: rent increases

Posted by Anna on December 20, 1999 at 23:26:25:

In Reply to: Re: (rent control) roommate, rent stab posted by Tasha on December 20, 1999 at 12:40:45:

: Actually I checked with him he doesn't get a "renewal lease" (I will, I only assumed he would too) but the landlord ( a new landlord, just bought the building in August after a year of no one collecting rent) wanted to talk to him about his rent (it's very low and he wants to increase it) around the time the rest of the building will be renewing their leases, so I think his rent might be going up that 20 percent anyway, so we might be able to get her on the lease.
: Thank you for the information.

Six units: all apts are likely to be either stabilized or controlled and the landlord cannot increase the rents just because he paid too much for the building (too much is: expenses (mortgage, repairs, fuel, etc) that cannot be paid by the existing regulated-rents-roll)

Rent control rules are different, the increase is limited to 7.5% per year to a maximum MBR, complicated formula. You can print the basic information on both Rent Stab and Rent Control from TenantNet Home. Or go to DHCR's website. http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/

Other things can either increase the rent, like MCI's, or freeze it, like DHCR orders or SCRIE. I strongly suggest everyone in that building call or go to DHCR and request a Rent History. They will receive a computer printout of the rents AS REGISTERED by the former landlord.

Either way, there is no advantage for him to add the roommate's name to his lease: he has a statutory right to have at least one roommate and probably as many roommates as he wants, depending on what his original lease says... long story.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name