Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Cannot just change locks under any circumstance.

Posted by MikeW on December 20, 1999 at 16:38:17:

In Reply to: Re: kick someone out of my apartment: illegal to change locks posted by Mui Mui on December 20, 1999 at 13:18:13:

If the mother refuses to move out when promised, you will have to give her 30 days written formal notice, which has to be delivered by a certain point in the month. This has to be done with a certain form you can get at housing court. If she doesn't move out by the date given in the notice, you can then file for an eviction in housing court. This process can take a few months. If you do finally get an eviction, the city martial will remove the evictee. Anything else you might do would be considered an illegal lockout, and subject you to significant civil and criminal penelties.

If she isn't out by the date agree upon, I would find a lawyer first thing next Monday, and start the process.

: Anna, Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate this.
: I've had a final talk with my roomate. We've settled on a date when her
: mother will move out. She promised me that her mother will leave after the 24th
: of December, 1999. I didn't trust her so I had her put it in writing. Is this
: enough to move her mother out and change the locks? Do I still have to sue her
: if she refuses to leave? My roomate signed the note agreeing that her mother
: will leave, her mother did not. This is such a headache and I'm so stressed.
: I'm afraid that her mother will damage the apartment knowing that I will suffer
: the legal consequences.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name