Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Reason for eviction?

Posted by Lori on December 06, 1999 at 21:43:33:

Shortly after relocating to NYC this summer I began renting a furnished room and a half in a brownstone in Brooklyn. I have a written lease, the place hasn't any kind of rent control that I know of. There are six units in the building, 2 rented rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors and one full 1 Bdr on the ground and 1st floor.

When I came here I'd only brought with me a couple of bags of clothing and left everything else I owned in storage back in Cleveland. Over Thanksgiving weekend I moved all of my things out of storage and brought them back to my room in Brooklyn. My landlady upon learning that I have added additional furniture to the room has told me that I had no right to do so because it was furnished to begin with and that I have a month to move out my things or else.

The furniture that came with the room consisted of a matress w/boxsping, long clothing dresser, tall dresser, a table, and later a loveseat and desk.

To this I have added my matress (on top of the other one), a long clothing dresser, a tall dresser, and a desk. Other possesions include my TV, stereo, videos, CD's, and books (which I have alot of).

The space I have in the room and a half is not all that sparse. I have arranged the position of everything, mine and hers, so that it is perfectly livable for me.

At this point I can not afford storage fees, nor do I think my space is too cluttered to live in. This is not the first time she has harrassed me about something that was none of her business. I live there not her. She has given me until Jan. 2nd to move everything.

Is this legal?

How are my rights different from someone living in a full size apt.?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name