Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Too little heat - is there anything I can do? YES

Posted by alice on December 04, 1999 at 23:38:31:

In Reply to: Re: Too little heat - is there anything I can do? YES posted by Alex Choi on December 04, 1999 at 23:10:41:

yeah: good luck with that one! if you need basic info about operating a radiator, go to plumbers.net.

physics lesson: steam rises. physics lessons two: the temperature of the steam drops as it rises (heating up the cold pipes along the way...). physics lesson three: the first floor gets steam first! result: the first floor ALWAYS gets more heat than the second floor.

radiator lesson one: 'bleeding' only works on two-pipe systems. one-pipe system radiators do not need to be bleed, and do not benefit from it.

radiator lesson two: trapped condensate reduces available heat: one-pipe system radiators need to slope down toward the riser about 1/4-1/2 inch per foot to let the condensate return down the pipe.

radiator lesson three: the one biggest reason for cold radiators is clogged or inadequate steam vents. for steam to come into your radiator, it needs to be able to push the cold air out (thru the vent).

: Thank you Richard!

: You're a genious! I will suggest this to the landlord.

: : You have to think backwards.....since the thermostat is downstairs in your landlord apt,
: : it is getting too warm at that point.....so the thermostat shuts off when it reaches the assigned temperature
: : So you have to turn down his radiators and even shut ONE of them off if he has one that is
: : way too close to the thermostat, that will make the thermostat stay on longer and VOILA... YOU get more heat!
: :
: : _________________________________________________________________________________

: : : Richard,
: : : I have just the opposite problem -- not enough heat. Is there anything I can do?
: : : We are on the second floor and it's always cold. Does airing out the radiators
: : : do anything? The landlord keeps bleeding the radiators, but I think he's full
: : : of it. I think the people downstairs are just controlling the heat for
: : : themselves. Basically, the situation sucks like !@#$!!! It's always cooler
: : : upstairs. Do you know of a way to get even temperatures on BOTH floors?

: : : thanks,
: : : Alex.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name