Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Un-regulated, No Lease: Complicated Question

Posted by a tenant on November 28, 1999 at 22:41:52:

In Reply to: Un-regulated, No Lease: Complicated Question posted by David S. on November 08, 1999 at 16:07:04:

: I have been living for 5 years in an apartment in Brooklyn that is un-regulated / not rent-stabalized. I also never have had a lease, as my landlords were "friends" when I moved in and we maintained a verbal lease. 2 years ago we negotiated our first increas in rent with no problem. This past week they indicated they wanted to raise my rent again, which seemed appropriated after a further 2 years. Instead, they gave me a letter stating "that they intended to raise my rent by 50%, and do extensive renovations to my unit. should i decide to stay in the apartment I would begin to pay the new increase immediately, which means that is effective DURING the renovations. should i choose not to remain in the unit with these conditions I must vacated the apartment in 2 months.

: Q: is it legal in ANY situation to just announce you wish to renovate someone's apartment that they are living in, regarless of whether or not they have a written lease?

I believe if you have no lease, you are living there as a "month to month"
tenant. Under the month to month arrangement, the landlord is obligated
to give you 30 days notice if he wants you to move out of the apartment
for any reason. The landlord can do anything he wants with his property and
you have no say in it, especially if you don't have a lease.

The landlord has no laws prohibiting him from raising the rent however high he
might wish to. His only obligation is to give you 30 days notice if he wants you
out.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name