Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Management Trying to Get Rid of Tenant's Association

Posted by MLWilliams on November 03, 1999 at 15:52:47:

I am sending this in on behalf of a Tenants Association in Rochester, New York. A few years ago, the tenants of "the Plaza Apartments", with the assistance of Congresswoman Lousie Slaughter, formed an association. They had their own garage sales, and bake sales to raise money for their association. They would also get together and have Valentine's Day and Halloween Parties as well as other "holiday" parties. The Association purchased a television and vcr for their use and it resides in the buildings "Community Room". There were no problems until last year when the office manager was replaced with a new manager. This manager seems to think that she can "do away" with the tenant's association and she also thinks that the television and vcr now belong to the Plaza Apartments Management. This new manager has basically scared the officers into believing that she has the last say so in everything they do. The Plaza Apartments is two buildings consisting of a total of 500 apartments, which mostly senior citizens live there. The rents are based upon their incomes, and I believe they all have leases. There are also tenants who receive section 8, as well as social services, but the majority of the tenants receive social security. My interest in this is that, my Mother lives there and she was the treasurer of the association, and now she is to be appointed President of the association. My Mom is 67 years old and I don't want this new manager harrassing her. The association is basically there for all the tenants (which most don't participate), but also to give the seniors something to do, even if it's just to come to the community room for coffee and donuts. What can they do to ensure they are not dissolved, as some of the officers of the association believe that if this new manager say's they are over, then they are over.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name