Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL has mo obligation to give you the apartment

Posted by MikeW on November 03, 1999 at 15:00:13:

In Reply to: Can I get my friend's apartment?? HELP! posted by WA on November 03, 1999 at 13:55:42:

Assuming apt is stabilized...

LL can rent to anyone he/she/it chooses. If they like you, you might get it, but only on the same terms as anyone off the street. Since the LL isn't thrilled with your friend, you might not want to mention your relationship to the LL.

Also, given the market and the current regulations, it is likely that the LL will try to get the apt of regulation. This is most often done by doing enough renovation work to get an MCI large enough to raise the rent over $2000. That is a magic number, cause apartments that rent for that or above fall off of regulation. This can't always be done, but they are very likely to consider it. A couple years ago, I gave up a $900/month studio on the upper east side. It magically morphed into a $2800 three bedroom.

: My friend is moving out of her apartment in west village (NYC) -
: one that she's had for 8 years or so. She has offered this apartment to me -
: but my problem is that she has not been in good terms with her landlord.

: I understand the rent can be hiked up by 10-15% - but my concerns are different.
: Can the landlord refuse me taking over the lease - subjecting it to a more open
: (and competitively priced) market? (the rent is currently $860 - my assumption
: is that the apartment is rent stabilized) Or is the landlord just going to make
: it difficult for me by asking for unreasonable terms?

: Do I have a hope in getting this apartment at $860 + 15% or am I fighting a lost
: cause with an impossible landlord?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name