Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Shoddy Roof Work

Posted by Kathleen on November 02, 1999 at 00:59:40:

I live in a rent stabilized walk-up tenament in the West Village, NYC.Probably a 1920's bldg.20 unit bldg. Myself and few other tenants are part of a DCHR rent reduction order for lack of services.Only after several phone calls is anything ever addressed in this building. Anyway, the new owner is trying to get the order reversed by doing the absolute minimum required. The biggest issue is the roof. The owner tried to get me to sign off on the work BEFORE it was even started. I, of course, refused.They have been doing the roof work this past week and I am sure that it is WAY BELOW PAR. I am concerned about the safety of the work. I called the buildings dept. but got no response(left a message).Any suggestions as to how I could get someone to inspect the work? Also, anyone know whether they are required to upgrade the wiring if the power goes out repeatedly during the summer due to blown fuses? Also, we do not have an intercom-just buzzers.Are they grandfathered on this? They built an apartment in the basement (that I know can not be code)to house the "super" who turns over about every few months. Supposedly we have a new one now-never been told name or telephone #. The owner has not returned my calls for the past few days (I've been told that she is away)and the "managing super" is very difficult. Today we had no heat/hot water ALL DAY because they had not ordered oil for the boiler.I was told that the "super" had "looked at it this morning". When I asked at 10:00PM tonight why the lack of oil had not been determined upon this first visit the "managing super" said we wouldn't have looked at that-the oil is supposed to be automatic-its the owner's fault because she didn't order it.When I repeated the unanswered question he became obstinent just like everytime the power went out this summer-which he blamed on the tenants for overloading the fuses.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name