Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Please help me help my self

Posted by Camille on October 27, 1999 at 00:41:14:

Well, someone pulled a fast one on me! I've had an oral lease (for nearly 2 years in a 6 family dwelling) that I have been asking to get put down on paper the entire time. My Landlord had no problem taking the rent from me. Until I lost my job Last Year in October.
I applied for Unemployement Insurance qualified and never received the money I was entitled to. I was put Very far behind in my finances.
I love my home.I don't want to move. I'm working again now, but I'm still playing catch up.
I also know that he is renovating the building. The apartment below mine has been gutted and I have a feeling he's trying to get me out
so he can renovate and jack up the rent. Until then, minor things like replacing athe deadbolt on the front door, he has refused to do
for over 4 months. I can't afford another move (yet) and I am in a rather large space for one person (by New York standards).
Twice before I was able to pay the guy 2 or more months worth of rent to make up for a missed payment. I should be able to do the same.
Tonight I recieved a summons from the landlord via mail. If anyone knows of a lawyer or law firm that can help me at this point,
please let me know. Otherwise advice from others in this situation would be helpful as well...

Thank you,
Camille of Park Slope

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name