Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord broke into apt of tenant and wants to blame me

Posted by Sam on October 19, 1999 at 00:18:14:

In Reply to: landlord broke into apt of tenant and wants to blame me posted by janet on October 18, 1999 at 19:29:35:

: A letter informing tenants of a break in two months ago with an ongoing investigation seems to be directed at me, because I haven't paid rent for over a year and the landlord is having me investigated. The employees of the landlord are never going to be charged but instead police are directing their efforts towards a false charge to have me declared a nuisance tenant on behalf of the landlord. Police claim they can investigate anyone. My lawyer say there is nothing I can do. Any suggestions?
: Janet

Yes: get to know your local police. Or have a good alibi. Worked for me.

A couple of years ago, after intruder break-in #8 in as many years, the policeman told me that the manager had pointed the finger at me as the culprit who let the intruder into the building. Then he said: hey, don't I know you from somewhere? When he realized the 'somewhere' was the police station, but for a police community/charity function, we both laughed... He used my phone, called a few civilians, found out the manager had a well-deserved reputation as 'a little off the wall'.

Nine months later, five minutes after dinner guests left, another knock on the door: intruder break-in #9. Two new-to-my-precinct police officers, strangers to me, questioned me like I was the prime suspect. My answer to where was I during the day? In court, housing court... trying to get heat! with papers to prove it! After I closed the door, I heard the manager's wife tell them I was crazy... Saw them on the street a few days later: they knew the truth about the building by then.

I live in NYC: my precinct has a 'community meeting' once a month: find out if yours does, go, help out, plant flowers, whatever. Once they know you as a person, they won't believe the tenant-from-hell lies your landlord is telling.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name