Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Deposit refundable?: should be

Posted by Sam on October 18, 1999 at 11:36:04:

In Reply to: Deposit refundable or non-refundable if I change my mind? posted by Shara on October 17, 1999 at 19:50:41:

: A few weeks ago, I stupidly put down a $500 deposit on an apartment (through 63rd West, the apartment complex's management office, not through the broker that showed me the place). I got a receipt, and signed an application paper. They did not provide me with a copy of the application paper. The receipt said, "$150 application fee, $350 deposit."

: I was supposed to sign a lease the following morning, but decided that I really did not like the apartment, and so I called the broker's office that evening, and the building manager's office first thing in the morning to tell them I had changed my mind. The building manager told me that my deposit is non-refundable, and refuses to return it. On top of that, he refuses to provide me with a copy of the application papers that I've signed.

: Is there any way I can get my deposit back?

$150 application fee = lost, "deposit" should be refundable. Read about how tenants get their security deposits back on the pages of Tenant.net.

Try calling the following for more help, maybe they cover in-house 'brokers' too.

the NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs or another MYC dept concerning real estate (use nyc search), and the NY State Dept of State for real estate broker licensing/complaints:

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name