Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: privacy

Posted by Anna on October 16, 1999 at 23:34:48:

In Reply to: privacy posted by CD Walentas on October 12, 1999 at 15:01:46:

: The owner is trying to sell the building and realtors come around time and again,
: sometimes with advanced notice, often without. Once one wandered in unannounced
: whilst I was in the shower. Apologies are wearing thin. Is there anything I can do or next time do I just ring the police?

Read your lease: what does it say about showing the apt? If it requires advance notice, insist on it: read about effective complaint writing on TenantNetHome.

If in NYC, I think there is a law that gives tenants the right to have a chain-guard on the door which allows you to open a door a little. It also prevents people with keys them from coming in while you are home. Look it up on TenantNetHome. Try the basic tenants rights booklets or search on 'chain'.

No matter where you live, there are other security devices, some need installation (meaning: putting a hole in the floor or on the door or wall), some don't. Some prevent entry, some are alarms. Take a trip to the local locksmith or hardware store.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name