Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Know a good attorney?

Posted by Rich on October 14, 1999 at 22:08:15:

In Reply to: Know a good attorney? posted by Laura on October 14, 1999 at 12:03:30:

: I want to try negotiating with my landlord and if that doesn't work, I'd like to take him to court. I would like the advice and assistance of an attorney though to make sure that I'm not being unfair or being taken advantage of. Does anyone know of a good lawyer who deals specifically with rent law and disputes between tenants and landlords?

No reasonable person could answer this one the way you hoped.........................

First, to find 'a good' attorney for any situation, you need to match the attorney's skills with your ultimate goal. Even good tenant-attorney's differ in their approaches. and skills.

Second, whatever you do, DO NOT hire any attorney advertising on the couple of back pages of the local weeklys, esp the VV. One or more has been taking tenants' $200 and selling them down the river...

Third: do this the usual way: ask friends, coworkers, anyone you can tell some of the @#$@#$ to. Call the New York State Bar Assoc, free service to match your needs with an attorney, c, number in tel book, online, here somewhere, for a free tel consult and for three or more $25 referrals. That's $25 to meet and interview the attorney face-t-face instead of the usual $150-200.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name