Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

help

Posted by QTbebe76 on October 02, 1999 at 17:04:54:

I live in a 3 story apartment with 2 other tenants. One tenant received a letter from the landlord stating that he will terminate the rent at the end of the month. He had already shut off the gas on them without notice. Now she is unable to feed her two children. She doesn't know what to do. I received the same letter this month which says my name and "John Doe and Jane Doe" why do they use these names. I think he had this letter prepared by a lawyer. It doesn't seem like legal papers at all. It's not certified, although there was a piece of paper which is the receipt of how a certified mail would look like. But, these mail were not signed by anyone in this building that they received the letter. It looks like they just filled out the certified label and placed it in the mailbox. I'm confused, is this a eviction notice? Don't we have to go through court first before we are asked to evict the premises? I have paid rent except for this month. We were discussing to both file a complaint and take him to court. I only gave a partial payment. I told him many times that the electricity of the common halls, and outside lights were all connected on my meter. I asked him to get a separate meter for it or I will deduct it from the rent. He never comes here to clean the place. Garbage is all over the place and I sometimes see a mouse by the garbage. During winter season, he doesn't shovel the snow and there was a few times when me & my daughter slipped and fell. He demands in paying him in cash and not in money order or check. He doesn't give me a receipt all the time. I want to know if he is legally allowed to rent this apartment. If not how do I find out? I want to pull up past cases on him, how can I do that? How can I find out if these letters I received are legal and should take action? For all I know, these letters that says it was certified, wasn't! There were no signatures on the letter or it wasn't subpoena. Please help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name