Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Threaten to report LL

Posted by MikeW on October 04, 1999 at 15:54:46:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord from HELL! posted by LEA on September 29, 1999 at 16:08:18:

My folks live in Nassau, and I've seen the towns force homeowners to tear down illegal additions. You could put a pretty major hurt on the LL if you reported them to whatever town the house is in. This is not even talking about the tax issues (both property and income). Use these for leverage. However, understand that if you did have to actually pull the trigger, you'd probably lose your apartment.

: : :This is your what 3rd or 4th posting on this subject?
: : :It sounds like your not happy with your current living situation. How long have you known that your apartment is illegal? Simple solution..MOVE!!!
: : :If you decide to make things difficult for your landlord I'm quite sure that in the end your only going to make things just as difficult for yourself. I suggest that you purchase your own piece of property and handle your business correctly so that you will not end up in another bad situation.
: : ###########
: : : This is a follow up...
: : :
: : : I reside within Nassau County, Long I$land within an illegal apt.
: : : Rental unit is a family built backyard extension to main house.
: : : Extension was never initially inspected, nor reported. Consquentially this
: : : extension according to the property folder (in my possession) is NOT
: : : even on the county or town tax rolls. Also this area is NOT
: : : zoned for two family homes. We are "month to month" tenants. No lease.
: : : Last year we did not receive any heat until after Thanksgiving
: : : and heat was erratic thereafter due to lack of landlord funds to maintain
: : : furnace which heats both her main house and our rental. Five junked
: : : non-running cars line our entire walkway that leads to our apt. Also landlords
: : : personal garbage and its companion flies also line our entire walkway.
: : : No hot water at times and no snow removal during colder months.
: : : Everytime we politely but firmly complained to landlord she and her daughter become abusive

: YOU KNOW I HAVE TO SAY TO EVERYONE WHO KEEPS SAYING "JUST MOVE" IT IS NOT THAT EASY TO MOVE NOR IS IT CHEAP, YOU GO FIND AN APT. THE LL ON HIS BEST BEHAVIOR THEN U FIND AFTER U MOVE IN THAT HE IS NOSEY NOISY AND NUTS. I CAN NOT JUST PICK UP AND MOVE AND I DO NOT KNOW TOO MANY PEOPLE WHO CAN, W/WORK AND EXPENSES AND TIME TO FIND ANOTHER APT. IS JUST TOO MUCH. THE EXPENSES ALONE ARE INSANE IN NY WE HAVE TO PAY THE REALTOR A MONTHS RENT THEN THE LL GETS A MONTHS RENT A MONTHS SECURITY AND A CLEANING DEP. AND FORGET FINDING AN APT IF YOU HAVE DOGS. I MEAN U SAY BUY YOUR OWN PROP AND DO THE RIGHT THING ARE YOU BUYING?? R U GONNA LET ME USE YOUR CREDIT SO THAT I CAN BUY MY OWN HOME? I MEAN IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT I KNOW I CAN GET MY OWN PROP. W/NO MONEY DOWN HOWEVER I DO NEED YOUR CREDIT. I AM NOT TRYING TO B NASTY BUT ITS OBVIOUS YOU ARE DOING EITHER VERY WELL OR ATLEAST OWN YOUR OWN HOME I WOULD EVEN BET THAT U ARE A LL YOURSELF. WELL JUST HAD TO SAY SOMETHING THIS TIME. LEA

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name