Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help -- Landlord won't compromise...

Posted by Dave Howlett on September 30, 1999 at 10:25:45:

In Reply to: Help -- Landlord won't compromise... posted by Dave Howlett on September 30, 1999 at 10:23:38:

I forgot to include that I am in Manhattan in a rent stabilized apartment...

: I signed a lease in July and moved into my apartment in August. Two weeks after I moved in, massive construction began on my building and the 7 adjacent buildings, as 3 new floors are being added. No notice of construction was ever given, and the builders continue to break the Noise Control Code, Warrant of Habitability and possible Constructive Eviction by working weekends without a permit. Also, the resulting debris, garbage and rubble being thrown off the roof into common alleys and courtyards makes the outside property impossible to enjoy. I have tried to resolve issues through the on-premises property manager and realty manager, however the "landlord" is actually a group of unnamed investors through a bank -- to this day, not one tenant knows who our landlord is and everyone I've spoken to keeps assuring me that the construction problems will be resolved, however after three weeks, no one claims to be able to do anything. After 3 attempts to get a copy of my lease, it was finally given to me and it turns out that I AM THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS SIGNED MY LEASE. My one and only meeting with an officer from the bank was yesterday, and she tells me that the "landlord" is not willing to provide an abbatement of my rent, nor any compensation for my inconveniences. My specific question is this: what legal right do i have to withold rent, considering that the landlord never signed the lease? The rent is due tomorrow and in the meantime, I have told them that their money is going in escrow. I know that laws are being broken and I feel like I am being completely taken advantage of. Please help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name